The Management and Leadership Institute for the Universities of Louisiana (M&LI) is a two-semester program for mid-career faculty and staff who aspire to broadened academic, professional or administrative leadership roles.
The Institute will immerse participants in a program designed to maximize their effectiveness in management roles. Participants will gain a deeper understanding for effective leadership in higher education. They will learn how to develop diverse, high-performing teams; manage and implement change; analyze financial, student and market data; and identify and seize opportunities in the increasingly competitive market driven environment of higher education.
Nine two-day sessions will be held over the course of two semesters, with each of the Universities of Louisiana hosting a two-day session. Participants will develop leadership skills and competencies by exploring case studies, presentations, and readings; engaging in group projects identifying, assessing and addressing a system-wide issue; and fulfilling an extended mentoring/job-shadowing component.
The nominee should be one who has potential for increased leadership responsibility and achievement within higher education. Nominations for participation are submitted by campus presidents who recognize a need for an expanded pool of future leaders and want to recognize and encourage the development of designated colleagues to assume increasing leadership responsibility. Nominees must be willing and able to attend and participate in all curriculum sessions and other requisite activities.
- Gain familiarity with contemporary challenges facing academic and administrative leaders.
- Deepen understanding of fundamental perspectives and concepts of leadership as they apply in higher education.
- Enhance personal and professional leadership competencies.
- Advance the UL System by leading a system-based group project from conception through completion.
- Increase understanding of important dimensions of higher education administration, including organizational structure and mission, governance, finance and budgeting, legal and regulatory issues, diversity and ethics.